Beauty trends will come and go, but your skin is always with you. Even after you’re long gone. It protects our insides from germs and disease. So it’s time you give your skin a little love and care, especially now that summer’s here!
We all love the sun on our skin! it feels nice, and we will get tanned! No. No no no no NO! The sun is very damaging and leads to many problems on the skin when you’re older (these aren’t all the problems): sun spots, wrinkles,benign tumors (moles), sallow skin (skin becomes yellow-y) and even skin cancer.
Only when the sun shines?
I know many of you may think, “oh, you don’t need sunscreen when it’s not sunny!” And I’ve been teased by my brother for applying sunscreen when it’s not sunny. The truth is, even though it’s not sunny (or warm), the sun is still there. It’s just hiding behind those clouds. But those rays are breaking right through them. If they weren’t, it would be dark outside when clouds covered the sky. So don’t skimp on the sunscreen.
Don’t miss these spots!
While applying sunscreen, put the sunscreen on your ears and tops of your hands as well. The skin is extra thin here and can wrinkle more easily.
Since many adults have wrinkly skin and spots, we think this is normal for the skin as it ages. Wrong!! Most adults didn’t apply sunscreen when they were young. Here’s how the sun hurts: The sun’s UV rays destroy fibers in our skin called elastin over time (that’s why most damage is shown in adults). As the elastin wears away, our skin becomes wrinkly and baggy.
Now that we’ve talked about the scary stuff, lets move on to protection:
1. Wear a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
2. Consult a dermatologist or your doctor for recommended sunscreen suitable for your skin type (oily, dry, etc.)
3. Apply sunscreen every few hours
4. If you’ve been in the water, apply waterproof sunscreen frequently.
5. Wear hats and sunnies if you can! This protects your hair and eyes.
6. The suns’s rays are most powerful between 10 am thru 4 pm.
7. Wear sunscreen while in the snow! The sun reflects off of the white snow!
8.If you really want a tan, use suntan lotion (I recommend Jergens Natural Glow)
Here are some products I Reccomend (All pics from Target.com